Mason Greenwood was one of the rising talents at Manchester United. His potential attracted many top clubs around Europe. But his promising career came to a halt last year. An attempted rape charge had been brought against Mason Greenwood.
As a result, Mason Greenwood hasn’t played a single game for Manchester United since January 2022. However, all charges against him have been dropped now.
What has The CPS said?
The Crown Prosecution Service, CPS, provided an explanation for Thursday’s announcement. They stated, “A decision has been made to discontinue prosecution in accordance with the Code for Crown Prosecutors.”
“A combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction,” a spokesperson of the CPS said.
Michaela Kerr, the Chief Superintendent of Greater Manchester Police, said: “Given the significant media coverage of this case, it is only fair that we share the news that the 21-year-old man, who had been arrested and charged in connection with an investigation opened in January 2022, no longer faces criminal proceedings in relation to this.”
Manchester United Released A Statement
After the announcement from the CPS, Manchester United released a statement following Greenwood’s updates. Their statement read, “Manchester United notes the decision of the Crown Prosecution Service that all charges against Mason Greenwood have been dropped. The club will now conduct its own process before determining next steps. We will not make any further comment until that process is complete.”
What did Greenwood say?
A short statement on behalf of Mason Greenwood was released following the CPS announcement. The statement read, “I am relieved that this matter is now over, and I would like to thank my family, loved ones and friends for their support. There will be no further comment at this time.”
However, Mason Greenwood can’t train with the team now. Manchester United cannot allow him to play until the investigation is complete.